Our Chocolate Chip Banana Bread perfectly balances the sweetness of ripe bananas with the decadence of chocolate chips. Enjoy it as a sweet treat for breakfast with a morning cuppa or dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I don't know about you, but there's something incredibly comforting about the aroma of banana bread wafting through the house. And when you add chocolate chips to the mix? Pure bliss!
We might have overdone it with banana bread in 2020; however, it's still one of our favourite recipes and a great way to use overripe bananas.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make with common pantry ingredients and minimal fuss.
- The warm and comforting aroma wafting through the house will lift your spirits.
- It's a great way to use up bananas nearing their use-by date.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Flour - use self-rising flour.
Sugar - use caster sugar or granulated sugar.
Mashed bananas - use overripe bananas which are close to their use-by date.
Melted butter - use unsalted. I find it easier to melt my butter in the microwave.
Chocolate chips - we love dark chocolate chips, but you could use a chocolate bar and cut it into small chunks.
Vanilla extract - or vanilla essence.
Cinnamon - adds a hint of spice.
Eggs - use two large eggs at room temperature if possible.
Bicarbonate of soda -
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper, leaving an overhang at each end so it's easy to lift out of the tin.
2. Add the melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix thoroughly until combined.
4. Add the mashed bananas, self-raising flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and chocolate chips to the bowl.
5. Gently mix with a spatula until just combined. Don’t overmix.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
It's ready when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave the banana bread in the tin for 10 minutes to cool, then turn it onto a baking rack to cool completely.
To avoid a dense texture, don't overmix the batter. Mix until the ingredients are just combined. Additionally, ensure your baking soda is fresh, as it contributes to the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread's rise.
- Dark chocolate chips - you could use white chocolate chips if you wanted!
Breakfast Bliss: Start your day on a sweet note! Toast a slice of chocolate chip banana bread and pair it with your morning coffee or tea. The warm, gooey bread and a hot beverage are pure breakfast bliss.
Afternoon Pick-Me-Up: Grab a slice as a pick-me-up snack. The natural sugars from the ripe bananas and the energy boost from the chocolate chips will give you the perfect kick to power through the day.
Dessert: Warm up a slice and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra decadent treat.
FAQs & Expert Tips
You can store the bread in an airtight container - it will stay fresh for up to three days.
Yes, you can freeze the whole loaf or individual slices. Just wrap the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread up well to prevent freezer burn.
Absolutely! Frozen bananas work well for banana bread. Just thaw them and drain any excess liquid before mashing and incorporating them into the batter.
If you don't have ripe bananas, you can ripen them quickly by baking them in the oven. Place unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet at 180°C fan (200°C) for 15-20 minutes or until the skins turn black. Let them cool before using them in your recipe.
You Might Also Love
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Loaf tin measuring 22cm long x 11cm wide x 7cm deep. Or one of similar proportions.
- 40 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing the loaf tin
- 160 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 350 g overripe bananas, roughly mashed (about 3 large bananas)
- 180 g self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160℃ fan/200℃/390℉ and line a loaf tin (measuring 22cm long x 11cm wide x 7cm deep, or one of similar size) with baking paper, leaving an overhang at each long end.
- Add the cooled melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the mashed bananas, self-raising flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and chocolate chips and gently mix with a spatula until just combined. Don’t overmix, or the banana bread will be dense.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.