If you're looking for an instant chocolate fix, this Chocolate Mug Cake is the recipe for you. Only 6 ingredients and a few minutes are all you need to make this chocolatey delight.
There's nothing more satisfying than a delicious dessert that can be put together quickly! I've tested this recipe a dozen times and have come up with the perfect fluffy Chocolate Mug Cake!
If you're looking for a vegan version, my recipe for a Vegan Mug Brownie is perfect.
I have given instructions to make two servings in smaller teacups and one large serving in a mug.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Egg free - therefore not rubbery!
- Super quick - takes a few minutes to mix then 1 minute to cook in the microwave (timing can vary between microwave ovens).
- Optional chocolate chips for even more tastiness.
- Totally delicious and even better with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Self-raising flour - I tried to make it with plain flour (all-purpose flour), and it wasn't as light and fluffy.
Baking powder - for extra fluffiness.
White sugar - can be caster or granulated.
Cocoa powder - unsweetened is the best.
Unsalted butter - melted. You could substitute butter for vegetable oil.
Milk - I use light milk, but you could also use full cream milk.
Chocolate chips - purely optional but definitely a must!
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
Directions for 2 Servings in Small Tea Cups or Ramekins
Step 1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
Step 2. Add the wet ingredients and whisk with a fork until combined.
Step 3. Pour the batter evenly between two teacups or ramekins.
Step 4. Add chocolate chips if you wish!
Step 5. Microwave for 40-60 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave oven. Leave to stand for 1 minute. The mug cake will continue to cook once it is out of the microwave.
Quick Tip: Place some kitchen towel onto the microwave and put the mug/teacup on top to catch any spills.
Directions for 1 Serving in a Large Mug
Step 1. Add the dry ingredients to a microwave safe mug.
Step 2. Add the wet ingredients and whisk with a fork until the batter is combined.
Step 3. Microwave for 1 minute + a few seconds depending on your microwave oven.
Chocolate Mug Cake can be enjoyed on its own with a dusting of icing sugar or for a more indulgent treat, you could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
FAQs and Expert Tips
This recipe makes 2 small teacup sized servings or one large serving in a mug. I find a small serving is enough for a chocolate fix.
Yes - as long as the mug is oven proof.
No - I recommend sticking to unsweetened cocoa powder only.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons self raising flour, (called self rising flour in the US & Canada)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, caster or granulated
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons chocolate chips
For 1 Serving in a Mug
- Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sugar to a mug and stir with a fork to combine. Ensure that the mug is microwave safe.
- Add the milk and melted butter and whisk together until combined. Add a few chocolate chips if you wish!
- Place some kitchen towel onto the microwave and put the mug on top - this is to catch any spills. Microwave for approximately 60-70 seconds. PLEASE READ NOTES ON TIMING BELOW
For 2 Servings in Small Tea Cups or Ramekins
- Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sugar to a small bowl and stir with a fork to combine.
- Add the milk and melted butter and whisk together with a fork until combined. Add a few chocolate chips if you wish!
- Divide the batter into two small microwave safe teacups or ramekins, then microwave each separately for 40-60 seconds. Place a paper towel onto the microwave and put the teacup on top - this is to catch any spills. PLEASE READ NOTES ON TIMING BELOW
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.