This quick and nourishing Creamy White Bean and Tomato Soup is perfect for a simple lunch or supper. It contains store cupboard ingredients so that you can make it at the last minute.
This soup has the most amazing flavour and texture, with lots of healthy ingredients to nourish your body inside and out. It doesn't contain any cream or milk, but it still comes out creamy due to the cannellini beans.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Made in less than 30 minutes.
- Packed with veggies.
- Simple to make with pantry staples.
Note: The full ingredients and quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Chopped tomatoes - use a high-quality tin of tomatoes, such as the Italian brand Mutti. I find their tomatoes sweeter and less watery than other brands.
Cannellini beans - just one tin, drained and rinsed. You could also use other white beans such as navy beans, butter beans, great northern beans or lima beans.
Basil leaves - fresh basil gives the soup a lovely fragrant aroma.
Oregano - use dried oregano.
Tomato puree - adds richness to the soup.
Vegetable stock - either homemade or store-bought. We use a stock cube for convenience, but you could also use vegetable stock from a carton.
Onion & garlic - peeled and finely chopped.
Step by Step Directions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
Step 1. Start by sauteing the onion and garlic in a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Stir regularly for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
Step 2. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
Step 3. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then carefully transfer the mixture into a blender, working in batches if necessary. Blend until smooth. Return to the pan to heat up before serving.
We love this soup served with fresh soft bread rolls or a slice of crusty sourdough. It also tastes delicious with some grated Parmesan or pesto on top. Don't forget to add plenty of black pepper!
FAQs & Expert Tips
It makes 2 large bowls or 3 smaller bowls depending on how hungry you are!
Yes - allow the soup to cool down first before freezing. Freeze in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
The soup will last a couple of days in the fridge stored in an airtight container.
You Might Also Love
Creamy White Bean & Tomato Soup
- Large pot / pan.
- Blender or immersion (stick) blender.
- 1 onion, brown, yellow or white, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes, note 1
- 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, note 2
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 250 mls vegetable stock, homemade or from a carton or stock cube
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and onion for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then carefully transfer it to a blender, working in batches if necessary. Blend the soup, then season to taste with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock or water.
- Return the soup to the pan and heat up for a few minutes. Serve with crusty bread and an extra sprinkling of black pepper on top.
StorageThe soup will last a couple of days in the fridge stored in an airtight container. To freeze, allow the soup to cool down first before freezing. Freeze in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.