Our Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup is a comforting Autumnal favourite that's perfect for chilly days. This recipe requires only six ingredients and takes just fifteen minutes to prepare.
This is the best Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup recipe! The slow cooker's gentle simmering transforms the pumpkin into velvety goodness, and there's nothing like a soul-soothing bowl of soup at the end of a busy day.
Enjoy it with fresh crusty bread and butter for dipping or toppings such as grilled bacon. If you prefer your soup to be spicy, add a small amount of curry powder.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's perfect for a busy weeknight - the slow cooker does all the work.
- Ease of preparation - it takes fifteen minutes to prepare. If you buy a precut pumpkin, it's even quicker.
- The perfect cosy Autumn meal - when the nights start to draw in.
- Wholesome goodness - pumpkin is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Pumpkin - you can use any type of pumpkin. I like to use precut pumpkin; it's more expensive, but I love the convenience of it. Note that the weight listed in the ingredients is after peeling the pumpkin.
Stock - use low sodium chicken or vegetable stock.
Cream - use full-fat thickened cream for a creamier flavour.
Onion - peeled and sliced.
Garlic - peeled and sliced.
Olive oil - or canola/vegetable oil.
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft, then transfer them to the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 7-8 hours.
2. Blend with a stick blender. If you don't have a stick blender, transfer the pumpkin mixture to a blender, but wait for it to cool before blending. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender; if the soup is too thick, thin it out with a little water.
3. Stir in the cream until combined. Do not reboil the soup after the cream has been added; otherwise, it may split, causing the soup to be grainy.
4. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and serve with crusty bread.
- Vegetarian - use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Vegan - use coconut milk instead of cream.
- Spicy - add a tablespoon of curry powder.
Serve with a swirl of cream, chopped chives or parsley on top and lots of crusty bread. Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup also tastes delicious with crispy bacon on top.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Store the pumpkin soup for up to three days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Yes, allow the soup to cool completely, then store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Yes, you could use coconut milk or whole milk. It also tastes lovely without any milk or cream.
You Might Also Love
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- 1 slow cooker, at least 5 litres
- 1 Stick blender or blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1.25 kg pumpkin (weight after peeling), peeled and cut into cubes
- 800 mls low-salt chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 120 mls full-fat cream, note 1
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Transfer the onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Add the pumpkin and stock. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Test the pumpkin is cooked by inserting a knife into the centre of one of the pumpkin cubes. Once cooked, blend until smooth using a stick blender. You can also use a blender, but allow the soup to cool before blending and depending on how big your blender is, you may need to blend in batches.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir through the cream.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.
StorageStore the pumpkin soup for up to three days in an airtight container in the fridge. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely, then store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.