A super easy recipe for a no-bake Hedgehog Slice made with chocolate, crushed biscuits, sweetened condensed milk, butter, coconut and cocoa powder. It takes 15 minutes to prepare and sets in the fridge, so no baking is required.
Hedgehog Slice is a traditional unbaked Australian favourite made primarily with chocolate and plain biscuits. It's similar to Chocolate Tiffin but with sweetened condensed milk. Being English, I'm not entirely sure where the name originates, as there are no native Hedgehogs in Australia!
If you love a good old no-bake slice recipe, check out my Mars Bar Slice, made with Mars bars and rice bubbles (rice krispies). For the chocolate lovers out there, I've just published a recipe for Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, which taste amazing!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Delicious 6-ingredient recipe.
- 15-minute prep time.
- Set and forget whilst it solidifies in the fridge.
- Freezer friendly.
Note: The full ingredients and quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Plain biscuits - such as Arnott's Marie biscuits. Rich Tea biscuits in the UK or Digestive biscuits can also work well.
Cocoa powder - use good-quality cocoa powder. Either Dutch-processed for a deep, smooth flavour or unsweetened cocoa powder if that’s what you have available.
Sweetened condensed milk - use full fat sweetened condensed milk as the lite version will not set as well.
Butter - unsalted butter gives you complete control of the overall flavour of your recipe, as the salt content in different butter brands can vary a lot.
Desiccated coconut - for some coconutty flavour. You could also use shredded coconut.
Dark chocolate - use 70% dark chocolate or dark chocolate melts from the baking aisle.
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Line a square baking tin with baking paper. Leave 2-3 cm of baking paper to overhang at opposite ends, so the slice is easier to lift out.
2. Place the biscuits into a ziplock bag, seal them, and then bash them until they are broken into tiny pieces.
3. Place the crushed biscuits in a large bowl and add the cocoa powder and desiccated coconut. Stir well to combine.
4. Melt the chocolate, butter and condensed milk in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring well until melted.
5. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the biscuit mix and stir well until all the biscuits are coated.
6. Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tin, and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Don't forget the corners! Place in the freezer whilst you make the topping.
7. Melt the chocolate and pour it over the top. Transfer to the fridge to set for 3 hours.
8. Remove the slice from the tin and cut it into 16 squares. The underneath might be a little sticky, but it will set once stored in the fridge.
I've made this Hedgehog Slice nut free, but you could add walnuts or some dried fruit such as sultanas or raisins.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Hedgehog Slice is best kept in the fridge; otherwise, it will melt and become sticky.
Hedgehog Slice will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes - you can freeze Hedgehog Slice in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
You Might Also Love
- 20 cm square baking tin
- 250 g sweet plain biscuits, such as Arnott's Marie, note 1
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 180 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces, note 2
- 395 g tin sweetened condensed milk, full fat - do not use the light version.
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
- Line a 20 cm x 20 cm square baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Crush the biscuits into small chunks. The easiest way is to put them in a zip lock bag and then bash them with a rolling pin.
- Add the crushed biscuits to a large bowl, and add the cocoa powder and desiccated coconut, stirring well to combine.
- Melt the butter, dark chocolate and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring well.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the crushed biscuits mixture and mix well.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Place the baking tin in the freezer whilst you make the chocolate topping.
- Melt the chocolate and vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, then pour over the tin. Place in the fridge to set for 3 hours.
- Once set, lift out the Hedgehog slice and cut it into 16 squares. Keep stored in the fridge.
StorageKeep the hedgehog slice in the fridge; otherwise, it will be sticky. You can freeze Hedgehog Slice for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Hedgehog Slice can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.