Warm the soul with this nourishing and vibrant Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup. The red peppers and sweet potatoes are roasted with garlic and onion, then blended with a little paprika and vegetable stock.
Winter is here in Melbourne, and there is nothing more soothing than a big bowl of soup with some crusty bread or toasted sourdough. It makes the perfect lunch or dinner time meal.
Why We Love This Recipe
- A healthy soup full of flavour.
- A cosy soup perfect for winter.
- Only 7 ingredients.
- The vegetables are roasted together on a large baking sheet, so less washing up!
Note: The full ingredients and quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Sweet Potato - we use sweet potato gold. Any variety of sweet potato can be used for this recipe.
Red Pepper - called capsicum in Australia and New Zealand, and not to be confused with a hot chilli pepper!
Paprika - use smoked paprika. Whatever you do, don't use sweet paprika, as it's a completely different taste.
Vegetable Stock - I like to use a stock cube as it's convenient, but a carton or homemade stock can be used.
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
Step 1. Cut the peppers and sweet potatoes into small chunks and place them on a large baking tray lined with grease-proof paper.
Step 2. Roast them in the oven for 30-40 minutes until they start to soften.
Step 3. Let the vegetables cool, then in batches transfer to a blender with some vegetable stock and blend until smooth. Depending on how thick you like the soup, you may have to add more vegetable stock.
Step 4. Transfer the soup to a saucepan, add the paprika and heat up. Check for seasoning and serve.
Quick Tip: There's no need to peel the garlic, as it can be squeezed out of its skin when roasted. Just be careful not to burn your fingers.
You could replace the vegetable stock with coconut milk for a lovely creamy soup. You could also add dried chilli flakes to make the soup spicy.
We love this served with a bit of crusty bread and occasionally grilled bacon on top!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Allow the soup to cool, and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes - let the soup cool and then store in a freezer-proof container or ziplock bag. It will last up to three months.
Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 red peppers de-seeded and cut into chunks, note 1
- 500 g sweet potato roughly cut into small cubes with the skin still on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons paprika do not use sweet paprika
- 500 mls vegetable stock either from a stock cube, carton or homemade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced / 200°C / 390°F and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the red peppers, sweet potatoes, onion and garlic onto the baking tray. Sprinkle over the sea salt and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft. There's no need to peel the garlic as it can be squeezed out of it's skin when cooked.
- Once the veggies are cooked, carefully transfer them to a blender, add some vegetable stock and blend until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock or water then blend again until desired consistency. If you have a small blender, you may need to do this in batches.
- Transfer the soup to a saucepan, add the paprika, season with salt and pepper and heat up before serving.
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.