Enjoy this colourful Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup as a weekday dinner, warming lunch or dinner party starter. Serve with some crusty bread for the ultimate feast.
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is a delicious and healthy dish you can enjoy all year round but is particularly lovely to enjoy in Autumn when the nights are drawing in, and the weather starts to turn chilly.
This vibrant soup is packed with vitamins, minerals, and fibre essential for good health. It's also easy to make at home, making it an ideal meal option if you want something quick but nutritious.
This recipe was inspired by my Carrot & Coriander Soup and Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato Soup.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Only 7 ingredients.
- Quick and simple to make.
- Packed with veggies.
Note: The full quantities are shown in the recipe card below.
Sweet potatoes - use any variety of sweet potatoes.
Carrots - use any carrots.
Onion - you can use either white or red onion.
Garlic - peeled and finely minced.
Olive oil - use extra virgin olive oil for more flavour.
Paprika - use ground smoked paprika and not 'sweet paprika.'
Stock - you can use either chicken or vegetable stock. We love to use stock cubes for convenience, but you could make your own.
Note: This is a summary of the instructions. The full ingredients and instructions are shown in the recipe card below.
1. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until they soften. Add the paprika and stir for 30 seconds.
2. Add the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Once the vegetables are cooked, let them cool before transferring them to a blender. If your blender is small, you may need to do this in batches.
4. Return the soup to the pan, season with salt and pepper and heat up before serving.
Top Tip: Don't overcook the sweet potatoes and carrots, as they will lose their flavour.
FAQs & Expert Tips
Store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Heat up in a pan on the stove or a microwave.
Yes, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup freezes well. Let the soup cool, then transfer it to a zip-lock bag or airtight container - remember to label it! Thaw the soup at room temperature when ready to consume, then heat it in a pan or microwave.
You Might Also Love
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram.
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Blender or immersion blender.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, (do not use sweet paprika)
- 750 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-3cm cubes
- 300 g carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 750 mls chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat then, add the onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the paprika and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and mix well. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Cover partially with a lid to prevent splatter.
- Once the vegetables are soft, let them cool down, then transfer everything to a blender. You may need to do this in batches depending on your blender size. Blend until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock or water.
- Transfer the soup back to the pan and heat up. Season with salt and pepper and serve with fresh crusty bread.
StorageStore the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Heat up in a pan on the stove or a microwave. To freeze, let the soup cool, transfer it to a zip-lock bag or airtight container and pop it in the freezer - remember to label it! Thaw the soup at room temperature when ready to consume, then heat it in a pan or microwave.
Nutrition: The nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with an online nutrition calculator.
Leave a Comment